Riding at Home
I debated going back to Ashland today because it was so hot! And the woods sounded inviting, but... I was tired and just didn't want to haul yet again. Plus I wanted time to ride both girls, so... I drug the arena and moved some obstacles around and then chilled out in the air conditioned house for a little bit. Finally at 5ish I decided I needed to just get on and get over it. It was either that or run out of time. It was supposed to storm and cool things off, but I figured the storm was going to blow around us. And it did. BUT... we did get a little nice breeze and some cloud cover for a little bit. Yay.
Lyric was a good girl. We had a really good ride. I let her investigate the barrel with my "garrocha pole" and she was spooked at first! She did go up and investigate it but was jumpy and when I made it moved, she almost spun out from under me. She stayed calm enough to invesigate it and smell it and eventually I was able to jiggle it a tiny bit. But only a tiny bit because she didn't really want to get close enough to let me really move it. Fair enough. We can try again the next time.
We worked on the basics again today, but we also trotted the trot poles. She was good and we got some nice self carriage and some softness. She was more even in the reins again and less bracy. And when she gets soft and doesn't brace, she gets more forward and open in her stride too! Yay! We had some moments of bracing, more at the end. I suspect she was maybe getting tired. But we finished with some lovely soft work and a great soft halt.
I didn't put boots on her and I felt bad because I should have. She did knick herself on her right hind today. Sorry girl! Those new shoes are nice but also not nice. I'll put her back in some boots and see if that does the trick.












Comments
Post a Comment