Still pretty perfect

Yesterday Freddie came and Lyric was so good. I held her rather than cross tieing her but she was pretty darn good. She was a bit tight in her hind end, especially on the right side. She didn't kick out at all, but she waved her foot a hair. I think it's more tightness than threatening or aiming. She stood well. Of course yesterday morning she came in without her front left shoe, so I went ahead and pulled her front right as it was sliding off to the side anyways. So she was barefoot on all four yesterday. She looked a bit tender this morning but I told Freddie that I wanted to try her barefoot since I wasn't going to be riding much for the next four or five weeks, and not at all for another week. So we did. He trimmed her up and she looks much better. 

But then poor girl was so sore. I don't quite understand how that thin little shoe, half underneath her and with her foot partially growing over it... how she was that much more comfortable than she is with no shoes. But... she was pretty ouchy today. 

They were up grazing by the arena so I grabbed her for some arena work. She was very much sore on the red clay with the rocks. She was still pretty tender in the sand though. So we kept it simple. I only did 20 min of pillar work and we mostly did pillar 1 statically and some walking and some pillar 2 and pillar 3. She was good. Still no yawns but getting more licks and chews. And until she's distracted, she's getting much better at yielding to pressure. Good girl!

Fingers crossed that her feet will toughen up soon and she can stay barefoot. At least for a while. I put keratex on them tonight, but may look into hoof armor. 

No photos today. It was way too hot.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

well dammit

Our First Blues!

Chill girl at the Tik clinic