Bless her

 XC lesson with Jacel. Not great. Got in my head and was riding backwards and then jumping up her neck. Fell off over the tiny little roll top.. like the first jump I jumped. Doh! She added and I didn't and went up her neck. She slammed on the breaks and went sideways and spun me and then I swear I felt like I helicoptered two full circles around her head before I got slung off. I landed on my butt/feet/back so no big deal. Other than jamming my thumb on the way down. She stuck around, horrified! We got back on and I waited and she was fine. 

Jumped a few more and got a little better about waiting but she was doing that "process" hesitation again, which.. bothers me. It doesn't feel smooth and it doesn't feel confident. I couldn't get out of my head and kept riding backwards. Had to jump the lincoln log stack down hill and as soon as I pointed her at it, her right shoulder slung out and I couldn't get her lined back up, so we stopped. Then a second time. jacel had us jump it uphill and we managed that. And then tried again downihll. I trotted her over it and she did it, but very hesitantly. So then we cantered it downhill and it got slightly better. Did the banana and back to it.

moved on and had another stop at the stupid triple log stack. The big one. Came back around and sat up and waited and added leg (and crop) and got her over it. Got sad that I was having to use my crop to get her over anything and had a moment. Jacel told me to stop riding last weeks lesson and start riding the horse underneath me. Understand she is NOT funny and ride her how she wants/needs to be ridden. Sigh.. she's right. But I still was in my head about it. But I started to ride better and it got better. We finished with some decent jumps. and looking back, she isn't hesitating as much as it feels. And Jacel reminded me that she was a much harder ride than Funny. Funny would tolerate mediocre riders. Lyric does not. I have to be a good rider to ride Lyric and I am. I'm giving her the ride she needs, even if it's not the ride I like. So that helped. ;) 

And poor LYric was trying. She really wants to be good. And she was. She just needs me. So, I have to hold her hand (Even if it feels like too firm of a connection). Hold her hand and let her pull me out of the saddle over the jump. Do not tip my shoulders before she pulls me up. Which makes me get left behind but she is MUCH happier for me to do that than jump up her neck. And be supportive. Keep my leg on at the base. Cheerlead her. Send her but wait for the add. 

When we finished her boots had rubbed her raw. Oh goodness, I'm so sorry girl!!! I was trying to keep her from stabbing herself but they must have had grit in them or something. Ooops. I felt so bad.

photos: 9-26 head games, Videos


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Validation... Listening.... New plans...

Maybe more better

Uncle.... UNCLEEEEE!!