Trail Day

 Today was a fun day. Mostly. Well, the bugs tried to ruin it. But mostly fun. I met Sharon for a hack this afternoon. We decided to go to Charlie Elliott for a change of scenery. And because my morning lesson with Funny lasted so long, this saved me another 15 minutes of driving. 

 

When I pulled Lyric out of the pasture today, she was in the farthest end. She came up to me for a cookie and started to walk away.. then changed her mind and let me catch her. Yay! But she was soaked in sweat. Ugh.. it's soooo miserable out. I hosed her off and noticed she was missing a hind shoe. So I grabbed the shoe pulling tools and tossed her in the trailer. Luckily I had her scoot boots already packed. We met Sharon and I ended up pulling her other shoe as she only had 3 nails left anyways. And I sort of wondered if perhaps maybe barefoot was better than shod because of the NPA? I don't know. But at least this way she was symmetrical and would have both scoot boots on vs losing a shoe mid trail and stepping on a clip again or being barefoot half the way. Luckily the scoot boots fit her behind and she didn't get any rubs!

 

So off we went. She didn't want to cross the creek initially but once Baylor went she went. She is so cute because she acts all terrified but then sniffs it and just walks over. Tense, but she doesn't leap or scramble, which is awesome! We had a great ride. We walked most of it but did some trotting too. The horse flies were relentless though in spots and some deer flies too. I had to hop off 2 times to get a persistent one and she had quite a few I had to whack off her stifle with my unicorn crop. And she shook her ear bonnet off twice too. Doh! It also got quite hot and humid, so... there parts of the ride that were pretty miserable. However, most of it was quite fun. We found a tree across our path that although we could walk over... we chose to hop over. And then we went back and jumped it twice too just for fun. And she did! She jumped right over it! Good girl!! That was actually kind of impressive as it was so brushy. We also jumped a small limb hanging across the path without hesitating or stopping. Yeah girl! Getting so brave!



She felt pretty symmetrical and sound today so yay! But the whole ride she kept clicking and clacking. She is forging something fierce. Sharon said she looked like she was flinging her hind feet. I am guessing it's the negative angles? Ugh... I hate that she has to wait another 4 more days before we can start to address them. But, I guess she's been this way for a little while, so... I'm still torn with riding vs not riding. 

 

But today was fun and she was super good. She'll get tomorrow off because it's Mike day and then hopefully I can ride Monday (labor day) and Tuesday and then she'll get fixed up Thursday morning. I don't know that I will get to ride again til Saturday and it's also supposed to start raining (Hopefully as we desperately need it, but poo for it messing up my rides maybe). 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

well dammit

Our First Blues!

Chill girl at the Tik clinic